It’s only December but as a programming librarian, I’m always looking ahead to summer and the reading challenge. For 2019, my library is choosing the CLP theme-A Universe of Stories and this is the first of many crafts for teens/adults that I’m considering.
They may not know much about astrology but most teens know their zodiac sign so any activities/crafts surrounding this theme could be popular.
Budget– $26/20 teens (Cheaper if you have lots of craft sticks which you probably do.)
- Craft sticks
- Hot Glue
- Acrylic Paint-black, purple, white, blue, red, pink
- Carbon paper
- Sharpies-Any color
- Sponges or paint brushes
- You can play this video at the start of your program. It shows how to glue the sticks and a great tutorial on how to blend paints.
- Each side of the box uses 14 craft sticks so each teen will need 84 sticks. (There are six sides)
- Have teens assemble the sides using hot glue.
- Paint each side using the desired galaxy style. They don’t have to do galaxy painting but it’s a galaxy craft program so…
- Print out each zodiac typography-do a Google/Pinterest search. It should be big enough to fit on one of the sides.
- Place the grayish side of the carbon paper facing up. Place the zodiac copy on top and trace using a pencil. It should transfer. Use a Sharpie to outline and color in.
- The images on the examples on Pinterest can also be transferred by carbon paper. Simply Google search silhouettes, print and cut them out. Print them in various sizes. Use the same tracing technique in the previous bullet point.
- Assemble the box.
- Tips: It can be a challenge to assemble the box. On the bottom side, I added an extra stick around the sides and I glued it farther out to give me more room.
- Some crafters cut the ends like this video.
- I also hot glued the inside corners on each side. I glued up the sides to secure it.
- I used the small craft sticks
- This craft will take two hours to complete.
- It’s also a great craft for adults
- Don’t have two hours or if this is too difficult? Patrons can paint one side, glue string, and make it hanging art.